Either as a beginner or an expert in developing sites and applications based on the most popular open source components, you have found the right solution. The NuSphere Technology Platform is an integrated distribution of the most recent versions of Apache web server, PHP, and Perl along with other necessary development and administrating tools. Don't waste hours bringing the components together... We've done this for you.
The new version of TechPlatform is a multicomponent package, which contains TechPlatform Core and PHP Debugger. TechPlatform Core includes the Apache, Perl, and PHP.
TechPlatform components are:
Apache 2.2.25 web server with:
- mod_perl 2.0.7
- mod_ssl 2.2.25
- mod_dav 2.2.25
PHP 5.4.17 scripting language
Perl 5.8.9 scripting language
PHP Debugger v5.0
The installation has now become more structured and flexible, with a number of additional choices and options:
- Choose the Apache components to be installed: mod_perl, mod_ssl, mod_dav install Apache either as NT service or as a console application
- Install Admin Site on separated Virtual Host or in the directory
- Protect your Admin Site with password
- Set various options for User Area or Admin Site (if you selected to install it on a separated Virtual Host):
- specify any Apache port and check if it's unique
- select if you want to protect access to User Area using SSL
- select if you want to protect access to User Area using WebDAV (SSL or Non SSL options are available)
Register here and download the NuSphere TechPlatform for free.
More About Techplatform Components
Apache web server
Apache is the world's most popular open-source web server software. According to the October 2003 Netcraft Web Server Survey, more than 64% of the web sites on the Internet use Apache. Thus, Apache has become the de facto internet standard for the web server.
According to http://perl.apache.org mod_perl is a "marriage of Apache and Perl". In short, it brings together these two powerful and mature web technologies. Here just a few things that you can do using mod_perl:
- have the existing CGI scripts run much faster
- easily create custom modules that become part of Apache, e.g. content handlers can be written in a couple lines of code and integrated with existing modules designed for use with mod_perl
- access and control all phases of the request cycle
- configure Apache with Perl; e.g, configure everything from virtual hosts to authentication settings using Perl right in the httpd.conf file
- install third-party modules for enhancing your application functionality with sessions, passwords and database integration.
mod_ssl is a very popular Apache module that provides strong cryptography for the Apache webserver via the Secure Sockets Layer and Transport Layer Security protocols with the the help of the Open Source SSL/TLS toolkit OpenSSL, which is based on SSLeay.
mod_dav is an Apache module that adds WebDAV capabilities to the Apache web server. It allows to control information remotely and collaboratively, using interoperable tools that employ metadata and version control.
mod_dav with Apache acts as a Class 1 and Class 2 WebDAV server. This means it can manipulate resources (files), resource properties, and create/remove locks on those resources to allow for exclusive control.
OpenSSL is an open-source implementation of the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL v2/v3) and Transport Layer Security (TLS v1) network protocols and related cryptography standards required by them. Also, OpenSSL is the name now used for the SSL library originally known as SSLeay. Among other uses, OpenSSL is used by Apache web server for https support and by MySQL to provide secure database access.
PHP is an open source, server-side, HTML embedded scripting language for creating dynamic Web pages. According to Netcraft surveys, it has been the most popular scripting language on the Internet since March of 2002. In January 2004, there were more than 14 million domains using PHP.
Perl stands for Practical Extraction and Report Language. Perl is a robust programming language designed for processing textual information. It is commonly used for writing CGI scripts used by most servers to process data received from a client browser because of its strong text processing abilities. Perl is interpretive, which makes it easy to test and build simple programs.